I’ve been playing around with some iPhone apps that use photogrammetry to create 3D models of whatever random crap you point it at, and I’ve definitely been having a good time playing around with it and seeing what kind of creations I end up with…
And then I run into this in my YouTube “suggested videos” section. 😅
Heh… I am so behind when it comes to all of the latest and greatest VFX that are possible if you have a beefy computer. But, I’m also smart enough to know that what this d00d is doing is way beyond my capability. I mean, sure, if I spent hours and hours learning the software I’d be able to start doing the most basic crap… but yeah… for now anyway, I’mma go ahead and let this skill set pass me by. 😏
Well, here’s the finished product. I’m pleased with it… all of the added touches are there to be seen – it’s just a shame that animation is sort of an afterthought with this modeling program, so the camera movements are a bit jerky and unnatural looking. But for anyone who had visited this house prior to me moving in, I think you’ll agree that it’s pretty faithful to the original… particularly the living room. 🙂
Fixed paint colors, correcting walls and making the ceilings white
Adjusted color and texture of all the doors
Updated the textures of the floors for more natural hardwood look
Changed sizes (particularly in the bedroom) of furniture for more accurate scale
Added lamp, clock, and ceiling fan w/light in bedroom
Added lighting, shower curtain, curtain, and changed bathtub/fixtures in bathroom
Also added more accurate texture for vinyl flooring and shower tiles in the bathroom
Picture window changed to wood w/more accurate sheer curtains in living room
Changed lamp on round table and square coffee table changed to oval in living room
End table lamps changed / now functioning, cuckoo clock now present in living room
Console record player under big mirror changed, vase/flower and newspaper added
In each room I also tweaked all sorts of things when it comes to object shading, colors, levels of reflection (matte/glossy), and lighting levels (spot/ambient) in a way that I think makes the whole thing look slightly closer to realistic and accurate to the way things were here in the past. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few things that I changed or adjusted, but yeah… there ya go. 😏
Oh, and I know – both times that I’ve created one of these animations, it’s been done where the house is assumed to be lit by dawn / pre-dawn light. I do that because I prefer to see how the internal man-made illumination sources and shadows are handled by the program, although I suppose one day I could render it out in broad daylight with fake ceiling lights (just a source light w/no visible fixtures) being activated in every room. 🤷🏻♂️
It’s 2a and I should be sleeping, but it’s my fault for making myself feel like shit. 😒 I mean, there really wasn’t a good second option – as not helping Cassi move would have ended up with them possibly not moving. Heh… that’s the problem with those of us who maintain as few friendships as possible – when it comes time for things like this, normal people have a crapload of acquaintances that will come and move your shit for some pizza and beer. Meh, more on that later maybe… but I wouldn’t have done things differently.
I’m just making an entry now because I can. Because I’ve got my laptop back. See, now and then I’ve been updating the 3D objects and properties in the modeled version of my grandparents’ house as it used to be – so it was time to render another animation, which takes forever and a day on a meager ol’ laptop like the one I’ve got. I mean, it’s a good laptop, it’s just that no personal systems are really meant for serious 3D rendering.
But yeah, the animation finished rendering, I’m currently uploading it to YouTube for enhancements, and then I’m going to download it again to do any adjusting that I have to do with playback speed. 🤓 It’s funny, like I was telling Genesee – 9 out of 10 people that watch the old rendering followed by the new one, they’re likely going to notice very little change. And I suppose that’s because there is little change… but yeah, I figured it was enhanced enough that it was worth the processing time. It’ll be up here in the blog once I’m done screwing with it. (Damn, now that I think about it, I haven’t actually watched the resulting video – so I don’t even know for sure if it was a success.)
Okay, I’m in a shit mood, so that’s all I’ve really got right now.